Members of the Arkansas Congressional Delegation Announce Over $6.5 Million for Airport Improvements
Supports Airport Operations in Arkansas, Clay, Jackson, Miller, Monroe, Pope, Saline, Sharp, Scott, Van Buren and White Counties
Jun 03 2015
LITTLE ROCK - U.S. Senators John Boozman and Tom Cotton—along with Congressmen Rick Crawford, French Hill, Steve Womack and Bruce Westerman—today announced that 11 Arkansas airports have been awarded more than $6.5 million from the Department of Transportation to support facility upgrades and expansions.
“Transportation infrastructure is vital for local commerce and private sector job growth,” Boozman said. “Arkansas will benefit from these airport improvements because they will help accommodate future development throughout the state.”
"Local airports are a critical part of Arkansas’s infrastructure system and I applaud the Department of Transportation’s selection of these 11 deserving Arkansas airports,” Cotton said.
"Modern airport infrastructure paves the way for regional growth by allowing local businesses and tourism to flourish,” Crawford said. “Our local communities will be well served by these improvements that set the stage for job growth and increase connectivity throughout our state."
"Today’s announcement awarding grants for infrastructure improvements at the airports in White and Saline counties will be a boost towards our state’s long-term economic goals. Upgrading these facilities will help us recruit new industry to central Arkansas, while enhancing air safety for those traveling in and out of our state," Hill said.
“In the state of Arkansas, rural communities matter, and I am pleased to announce these Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grants which ensure our rural communities – and especially Russellville, which is uniquely situated to become one of Arkansas’s most dynamic cities – can remain accessible through safe and modernized municipal airports and continue to grow,” Womack said.
“I am pleased these grants are coming home to Arkansas. Without strong infrastructure, we cannot expect our economy to grow,” Westerman said. “This investment at home will help these communities add jobs and opportunity.”
The airports receiving funding are as follows:
- Ash Flat: Sharp County Regional Airport will receive $440,325 to rehabilitate the airport apron and runway.
- Benton: Saline County Regional Airport will receive $528,183 to expand the airport apron.
- Clarendon: Clarendon Municipal Airport will receive $206,764 to extend taxiway.
- Clinton: Clinton Municipal Airport will receive $194,776 to install taxiway lighting.
- Corning: Corning Municipal Airport will receive $244,332 to rehabilitate the airport apron.
- De Witt: De Witt Municipal Airport will receive $335,250 to expand and rehabilitate the airport apron.
- Newport: Newport Municipal Airport will receive $557,072 to install airfield guidance signs, miscellaneous NAVAIDS and to rehabilitate the runway.
- Russellville: Russellville Regional Airport will receive $124,184 to acquire land for approaches.
- Searcy: Searcy Municipal Airport will receive $150,00 to rehabilitate the airport runway.
- Texarkana: Texarkana Regional –Webb Field will receive $3,403,151 to rehabilitate the airport runway.
- Waldron: Waldron Municipal Airport will receive $318,812 to rehabilitate the airport runway.