Dr. Boozman's Check-up
Mar 01 2013
In case you missed it this is what we were working on in Washington this week:
- Sequestration: Today marks the day sequestration goes into effect. We took steps to avoid the massive across-the-board cuts while still maintaining a $1.2 trillion reduction in government spending but no agreement has been made to avert this. I am concerned about the fear that the administration is putting in the American people about the budget cuts. That’s why I joined my colleagues in sending a letter to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack about his comments about meat and poultry inspections.
- 1,400 days: The out-of-control spending is partially to blame on the failure of the Senate to produce a budget in more than 3 ½ years. This week we reached 1,400 days since a budget was last passed in the Senate. To pressure the Majority to do this basic governing responsibility, we launched a website highlighting the importance of a budget. Learn more here.
- Secretary of Defense: This week the Senate voted to confirm Sen. Chuck Hagel as the Secretary of Defense. I want you to know why I couldn’t support the nomination.
- Keystone XL pipeline: I joined a bipartisan group of Senators, including Senator Pryor, urging Sec of State John Kerry to approve the Keystone XL pipeline permit to put us on the path of energy security and provide jobs for hardworking Arkansans.
- Reinvest Recreation Fees: We joined efforts with Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR) to introduce the Corps of Engineers Recreation Improvement Act.This legislation would reinvest recreation fees to improve facilities where the funds were collected. This would allow millions of dollars to be reinvested in Arkansas.
- Let us help you: Helping Arkansans is an important part of my job. In 2012 alone, my staff and I helped 2,775 Arkansas families with matters involving the federal government. I encourage you to contact one of my offices if you need to discuss a problem you’re having with a federal agency so we can help to resolve your issue or cut through the red tape to get your question answered.
- “Arkansas Week” Interview: Last week I sat down with Steve Barnes and talked about the issues we’re facing and the debates in Congress. If you missed it you can watch it here.