Dr. Boozman's Check-up
Jun 10 2013
Here’s what’s on tap this week:
On the Calendar:
- The Senate will vote on final passage of the farm bill at 5:30 pm today.
- The remainder of the week, we will turn our attention to the comprehensive immigration reform bill that has been proposed by the Senate’s “Gang of Eight.” While I am glad we are having this discussion as this is an issue that must be addressed, I have serious concerns with this massive bill, especially that the border security component of the bill is not strong enough and that the language in this bill will lead to amnesty, which I oppose on principle. To read more about where I stand on the issue, visit In Depth: Immigration & Border Security.
- On the other side of the Capitol, the House of Representatives is expected to take up the 2014 defense authorization bill.
- In an effort to keep in touch while working in Washington, I am hosting a telephone town hall with Arkansans tonight. Please sign-up to participate.
- The scandals plaguing the Obama administration are all about one thing: trust.
- E-Verify, the federal government’s online system to screen potential employers, has worked well as a pilot program and should be included in any comprehensive immigration reform package. This Arkansas Democrat Gazette [subscription required] story details how some employers have used the tool in the state.
- More evidence of skyrocketing premiums under the President’s health care law. This time, it’s Ohio where the average individual-market health insurance premium in 2014 will be 88 percent higher than this year’s cost.