Dr. Boozman's Check-up
May 24 2013
In this edition of the “Week in Review”: More revelations of IRS abuses, important veterans’ legislation and much more.
- More Revelations of IRS Abuses: We are keeping the heat on the administration and the IRS. I took to the Senate floor this week to demand accountability from the administration. You can also read more about the scandal in this week’s column.
- Bill to Create First Gulf War Memorial Introduced: Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN) and I introduced legislation that wold clear the way for a national memorial for veterans of the first Gulf War.
- Stolen Valor: With Memorial Day approaching, the Senate unanimously voted this week to send an important bill to the White House that will protect the integrity of military honors. The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 will make it a federal crime to profit from lies about military medals. The President should quickly sign it.
- Talking with Jonesboro’s KASU: I visited with KASU about the farm bill that is on the Senate floor right now, as well as the IRS scandal and the upcoming immigration legislation that is expected to be on the floor in June. You can listen to the interview here.
- Promoting Water Research and Training Scientists: As Ranking Member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Water and Wildlife Subcommittee, I joined with Chairman Ben Cardin (D-MD) to introduce a bill this week to reauthorize federal grant funding for water resources research institutes. Each federal dollar spent must be matched with two non-federal dollars. This is the highest match requirement of any federal research program. This program allows the Arkansas Water Resources Center and its sister institutions across the country to solve real-world problems related to our water quality and quantity needs.
- Helsinki Commission Appointment: I am honored to be appointed to serve as a member of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, commonly referred to as the Helsinki Commission, which aims to strengthen the relationship between the U.S. and Europe and works to address and assess democratic, economic, and human rights developments firsthand.
- West Memphis Native Joins my DC Staff: West Memphis residents calling my Washington, D.C. office may find a familiar voice at the other end of the line. Please help me welcome Mallory Cupples of West Memphis to my staff.