Grants will support operations in Desha, Franklin, Johnson, Lee and Mississippi counties
Jun 24 2015
WASHINGTON - U.S. Senators John Boozman and Tom Cotton, along with Congressmen Rick Crawford and Bruce Westerman, today announced that five Arkansas airports will receive over $1.8 million from the Department of Transportation to support facility upgrades and expansions.
"These airports are important to growth and development in Arkansas communities. Upgrades to these facilities will better serve the economic needs of our state,” Boozman said.
“Local airports play a critical role in Arkansas. I am pleased these facilities will be able to make needed upgrades and continue serving our state,” Cotton said.
“Updates to airport infrastructure aid regional growth by allowing local businesses and tourism to grow,” Crawford said. “Our communities will be well served by these improvements that increase connectivity throughout our state."
“I am pleased these grants are coming home to Franklin and Johnson Counties. Without strong infrastructure, we cannot expect our economy to grow,” Westerman said. “This investment at home will help these communities add jobs and opportunity.”
The airports receiving funding are as follows:
- Dumas: Billy Free Municipal Airport will receive $216,689 to rehabilitate runway lighting and taxiway lighting.
- Clarksville: Clarksville Municipal will receive $432,990 to rehabilitate taxiway.
- Manila: Manila Municipal will receive $308,000 to rehabilitate apron and rehabilitate taxiway.
- Marianna: Marianna/Lee County – Steve Edwards Field will receive $286,660 to install miscellaneous NAVAIDS and to rehabilitate apron.
- Ozark: Ozark-Franklin County airport will receive $580,000 to improve Airport Drainage.